Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Valve-broken

It wasn't that long ago that I wrote a post on how good it was to be largely free of the symptoms of Reactive Arthritis. I spoke to soon, I guess. Some time over the last few years, inflammation has damaged the aortic valve from my heart. It is now leaking, causing my heart to stretch. And I need the valve replaced before my heart itself is damaged. Valve replacement is open heart surgery but the risk of serious complications is small. If things go ok I can expect a 1-3 month recuperation period and a more or less normal life afterwards. If I stay within the public system I can expect to wait between 6 and 9 months for surgery.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious, or disappointed - the need for surgery has derailed what were looking to be exciting plans for the year. But, of course, things could be worse.

Anyhow, I intend to write more here about events as they unfold. I do get the odd person coming through to this site who has Reactive Arthritis, so maybe my experiences might be useful. You can reciprocate too. Any experiences of open heart surgery (doesn't have to be stemming from arthritis, or even valve replacement) are much appreciated in the comments box below.

[Update: If you do read this and have Reactive Arthritis - don't worry. Heart problems are a very, very rare complication of Reactive Arthritis. A rheumatologist friend of mine described my situation as a 'textbook complication that you only ever see in textbooks'. So the odds of you encountering similar problems to me are small.]

Oh - and I think there may be a couple of people from work and the immediate surrounds who read this blog. My need for surgery isn't a secret, but it isn't public knowledge yet either (partially because I can't really figure a way of telling people...)

3 comments:

Parallel Universe said...

Bloody hell, Terry Sue!
I can't quite believe the bad news. However - and I say this hoping to not sound patronising - you will work through this one too.
Boa sorte mi amigo

Anonymous said...

I hope that as much as possible, things go well for you in the next few months. Regards...

Terence said...

Thanks George and Obrigado Senor Universe